We are sisters in law, we are mothers and we are beauty junkies. It was only a matter of time until we (Christina Moss and Julia Yule) founded our own business. We always wanted to have our own brand, develop a range and see our products on the shelves of our favourite stores. Bloom and Blossom was our vision - a sophisticated, natural, solution focused skincare range, suitable for pregnancy and baby. It’s a vision that has taken a lot of hard work and dedication, but provided many laughs along the way.
To make that vision a reality Christina left a career in finance and Julia a career in PR and Communications. It was a big change for us both as we set about developing a unique collection of natural, safe to use, stylish and most importantly solution-focused skincare products for new and expecting mums and their babies.
Everyone always asks us: where did we get the idea from? The answer: from our friends who were having babies and could not find the products they wanted in the stores.
What did they want? Something natural; something without the nasties; something that works and something that looks gorgeous. We did extensive research and felt there was a niche in the market and loving a challenge as we do, we decided to jump in with both feet.
Launching a company in the depths of a recession was never going to be easy. In the early days we did everything from, quite literally, the kitchen table. Stock, samples and boxes filled every room and cupboard and all family members - from our young babies to the grandparents - helped to pack orders, put together gift sets and make deliveries. It was a new venture and an exciting journey for both of us and it is one that demands long hours, lots of sleeve rolling and most importantly a passion for products.
Our hard work paid off when Space.NK launched the brand nationwide in 2010. Suddenly the kitchen table grew to the dining room and spare bedroom and it was not long until we had to move to proper premises, an actual office, befitting of our expanding business.
Our business has gone from strength to strength and we are so pleased to now be available in some of our favourite – not to mention the most prestigious - leading retailers, including Space.NK, John Lewis, Liberty and Wholefoods. It makes us smile everyday when we look at the growth of our business, see our products on the shelves and plan our expansion outside the UK.
We have received some incredible support from the beauty editors and industry tastemakers and have gathered a string of A-list fans, including The Duchess of Cambridge, Victoria Beckham and Kate Winslet.
Amongst a prominent selection of accolades, our proudest moment was winning the Cosmetic Executive Women award for Best New Brand: Prestige in 2012. Never had a maternity brand won this category and this proved to be an exciting time for the business. Going on stage to collect our award, both of us being pregnant, evoked quite a response from the audience and proved our dedication to our brand.
Having a growing young family, three - soon to be four – little ones between us, we are true ambassadors of our own ethos and philosophy. We live and breathe the brand, learning every step of the way, listening to our customers’ feedback and reacting to it. Being full time working mothers is a tough job, but one we can safely say is hugely rewarding.
Our Products – Our Promise
- At Bloom and Blossom every ingredient has earned its right to be included.
- Our ingredients are of the highest quality and include maximum levels of active ingredients (the ingredients that actually do the work and give the results).
- The number of ingredients, what they are and why they are there, are clearly marked on the side of each box.
- All ingredients are listed in English, as well as the required Latin, so the customer knows exactly what they are putting onto their skin.
- Our products contain NO parabens, SLS, petrochemicals, synthetic fragrances or colourants.
- Our products are made with the care and knowledge to restore and to nurture.
- Our products conform to the highest standards of laboratory testing and analysis and are, of course, never tested on animals.
- Our products are easy to use and completely safe during pregnancy and for new mothers and babies.
- Our packaging is fully recyclable and our cardboard is from FSC certified, carbon neutral and controlled sources.
- Our full-size products are made in the United Kingdom.